Putra Heights inferno: Indah Water refutes connection to explosion

KUALA LUMPUR: Indah Water Konsortium (IWK) Sdn Bhd has firmly denied any connection to the gas pipeline fire in Putra Heights, Subang Jaya, on Tuesday. In a statement on Wednesday (April 2), IWK clarified that the project connection to a private sewer pipeline was constructed by the developer’s contractor. "It is important to note that the laying...

MCMC summons FB group admins over racially-charged content

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has recorded the statements of two main administrators of a Facebook group being used to spread information and comments believed to incite racial and religious discord that can potentially cause public unrest. In a statement Wednesday (April 2), MCMC said the individuals' statements were taken at its...

Baling dog attack: Cops record statement from owner of Rottweilers

BALING: Police have recorded a statement from the owner of two Rottweiler dogs that attacked residents in Taman Desa Bidara, Kuala Ketil, on Tuesday (April 1) to assist in the investigation. Baling OCPD Supt Azmi Mokhtar said the 69-year-old man was released on police bail after providing his statement on Tuesday night due to his heart...

Russia and Ukraine trade new accusations on breaches of energy truce

MOSCOW (Reuters) -Russia and Ukraine accused each other on Wednesday of launching new attacks against each other's energy facilities, in violation of a U.S.-brokered moratorium. Both sides said they were providing details of the alleged violations to the United States, which persuaded Moscow and Kyiv to agree to the limited truce last month as a hoped-for...

Myanmar quake: SMART rescues man trapped for over 72 hours

KUALA LUMPUR: The Special Malaysia Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (SMART) successfully rescued a survivor who had been trapped under rubble for 72 hours in Sagaing, Myanmar, on Wednesday (April 2) afternoon. Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the male victim, believed to be in his 40s, was discovered at Worksite K10,...

Putra Heights inferno: Alleged dashcam footage shows excavation work at site of gas pipeline blaze

SHAH ALAM: A video has gone viral on social media allegedly showing dashcam footage of excavation work being carried out within a fenced gas pipeline area days before the tragedy in Putra Heights, Subang Jaya, on Tuesday (April 1), reports Sinar Harian. The Malay language daily reported that the one-minute, 41-second video, believed to be taken...

Putra Heights inferno: Dr M urges public to stop finger-pointing, speculating

KUALA LUMPUR: There should not be any unnecessary finger-pointing over the gas pipeline explosion and fire in Putra Heights, says Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad. The former prime minister said the matter must be studied thoroughly while also expressing displeasure at speculations. “We don’t know just yet and can’t go around accusing people. We have to investigate. “If we...

Putra Heights inferno: No gas detected in pipeline, recovery work deemed safe, say cops

KUALA LUMPUR: The recovery work in the area of the gas pipeline blaze at Jalan Putra Harmoni, Putra Heights, Subang Jaya, is currently safe, as no gas content has been detected in the pipeline, say Asst Comm Wan Azlan Wan Mamat. The Subang Jaya OCPD said that PETRONAS had conducted an inspection and found that the...

Over 30 arrested, close to S$1mil seized in Singapore’s islandwide blitz against impersonation scams

SINGAPORE: More than 30 people were arrested and over 240 bank accounts were frozen following an islandwide police operation against government official impersonation scams. In a statement on Tuesday (April 1), the police said 27 men and seven women - aged between 17 and 46 - were nabbed during raids targeting suspects who gave their bank...

Four Chinese nationals who removed files from collapsed Thai building charged

BANGKOK: Authorities have charged four Chinese nationals for illegally removing 32 files of documents from the collapsed 34-storey State Audit Office (SAO) building, which was destroyed by an earthquake on March 28. A legal officer from the Chatuchak District Office’s municipal affairs division filed a complaint at Bang Sue Police Station against five Chinese individuals accused...