Kinabatangan, Lamag by-elections: Vote counting begins after polling centres close

KINABATANGAN: Vote counting for the Kinabatangan and Lamag by-elections has begun after all polling centres closed at 5.30pm Saturday (Jan 24). As of 6,30pm, unofficial results from the early ballot boxes being counted for Kinabatangan showed Barisan’s Mohd Naim Kurniawan Moktar in the lead against Warisan’s Saddi Abdul Rahman and independent candidate Goldam Hamid. In Lamag, Barisan’s...

(Unofficial) BN set to retain both Kinabatangan, Lamag seats with super majorities

KINABATANGAN: Barisan Nasional looks set to retain both the Lamag and Kinabatangan seats with super majorities, according to unofficial vote tallies. Based on the latest unofficial vote counts, Mohd Naim Kurniawan Moktar secured more than 17,000 votes while his opponent Warisan’s Datuk Saddi Abdu Rahman, who garnered over 5,300 votes in the three-cornered contest for the...

Kinabatangan, Lamag by-elections: EC stresses compliance with election rules

KINABATANGAN: All voters in the by-elections for the Kinabatangan parliamentary seat and the Lamag state seat have been reminded not to wear clothing, caps, face masks, or carry items bearing party or candidate logos or symbols to polling centres on Saturday (Jan 24). Election Commission (EC) secretary Datuk Khairul Shahril Idrus said voters were also prohibited...

Bung’s son among four candidates identified for Kinabatangan, Lamag, says Sabah Umno chief

KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Umno has identified four potential candidates for the Kinabatangan parliamentary and Lamag state seat by-elections, its chairman Datuk Jafry Ariffin said. He did not discount the possibility of fielding Kinabatangan Umno youth chief Naim Kurniawan, the son of the late Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin whose death on Dec 5 will see by-elections...

Power returns to Sabah’s east coast after tower repair works completed

KOTA KINABALU: The restoration works for the 275kV Kolopis-Segaliud transmission line, whose tower was toppled in a landslide last week, have been successfully completed with a second 'Emergency Restoration System' (ERS) tower erected. The completion of the second tower link at the landslip area for the West Coast to East Coast power grid is expected to...

Six-year-old autistic boy reported missing near Kinabatangan riverbank

KOTA KINABALU: A search and rescue operation has been launched following the disappearance of a six-year-old autistic boy in Batu Putih, near Menggaris in Kinabatangan on Saturday afternoon (June 21). The Kinabatangan Fire and Rescue Department received an emergency call at 5.14pm reporting that the child, identified as Mohammad Aqeef Al Tarmiezy Arman, had gone missing...

Senior citizen dies in Kinabatangan car accident

KOTA KINABALU: A 62-year-old man was killed when the car he drove collided with another vehicle in Kampung Segaliud, Kinabatangan district on Thursday (Aug 1). The body of Jumali Buhari was extracted from a compact car by firefighters and he was declared dead on site by medical officers at the scene. Meanwhile, the driver and passenger of...