Johor Sultan wants all mosque activities to be postponed until April 28Grace
Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar has decreed that prayers and activities at all mosques and surau in the state be postponed until April 28.
“All those who are involved in mosque and surau management such as the committee members and all Muslims in the state should adhere to the instruction,” said a joint statement by state Muslim leaders.
They are Johor Mufti Datuk Yahya Ahmad, Johor Islamic Religious Department director Datuk Md Rofiki Samsudin and Johor Islamic Religious Council chief executive officer Datuk Mohd Noh Ibrahim.
All forms of community activities within the premises of the mosques and surau, including cooking or giving of bubur lambuk, were also prohibited, the statement said.
All gatherings for religious talks and lessons will also be postponed as well.
Earlier, health and environment committee chairman R. Vidyananthan said the state government decided not to hold Ramadan bazaars this year in light of Covid-19.
This is in line with the Federal Government’s advice on the matter and the decision is made to stop the spread of the outbreak.
“The decision is made as a preventive measure to avoid infection caused by close contact among the people, thus increasing the risk to the bazaar visitors and the public, ” he said in a statement.
Instead, he urged traders to conduct their business online.
“This is a chance for business owners to venture into the vast online market,” he said.
Sultan Ibrahim has previously urged the authorities not to hold Ramadan bazaars due to the Covid-19 outbreak.
His Majesty said new cases were being detected on a daily basis and now was not the time to hold any event involving the masses.
“The complete effect of the movement control order must be achieved first and this must be our priority and concern. The Ramadan bazaar can wait.”
“If we don’t follow and ignore the movement control order (MCO), the virus will spread and further strain the resources of our healthcare system, putting our healthcare workers and other frontliners at even greater risk,” he said in a statement posted on his official Facebook page on April 2.
His Majesty added that the rakyat must be patient, stay at home and avoid any contact with others until the health authorities give the all-clear order.