Is MCO 2.0 Happening Next Week? National Security Council Respondsjessie tan
Yesterday (Wednesday, 6th January), Malaysia reported a new record high of 2,593 Covid-19 cases. At this rate, is another Movement Control Order (MCO 2.0) inevitable?
According to Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, our country’s healthcare system is at breaking point as daily cases are expected to rise even higher. True enough, Malaysia has recorded another new high today with 3027 cases, with 8 deaths.
Johor kes tertinggi hari ini! pic.twitter.com/55vmZCNJfO
— MYSumber Official (@mysumber) January 7, 2021
China Press even published an article, asking if MCO 2.0 is expected to take place from next Tuesday onwards. The question is still up in the air. Since healthcare facilities simply can’t accommodate every single patient anymore, Dr Noor Hisham said, “We need a circuit breaker to bring the (daily) cases down from the 2,000 level. We may consider that the red zone States and green zone States would have different strategies. It is a more targeted approach.”
“Rather than [imposing one common rule for] the whole nation like what we did for MCO (movement control order) on March 18 last year. I think now our strategy will change and we will be more localised and targeted in terms of implementation. Discussions [with the National Security Council] are still ongoing and we will make some decisions as soon as possible,” he added.
Dr Noor Hisham also retweeted a tweet by Annabelle Lee that reads:
I have covered KKM press conferences for almost 9 months now & I have not heard @DGHisham use words like “breaking point” “pressure” & “breaking down” until today.
Buckle up everyone, stay home & patuh SOP 💖https://t.co/IIFkPDM7Ua
— Annabelle Lee (@annabellybutton) January 6, 2021
INFO INI ADALAH PALSU. TAK PASTI JANGAN KONGSI!! pic.twitter.com/8M0AINHilh
— MAJLIS KESELAMATAN NEGARA JABATAN PERDANA MENTERI (@MKNJPM) January 6, 2021
Having said that, there’s been a document circulating online stating that MCO 2.0 will be reintroduced in several states. The National Security Council (NSC) has come forth to debunk the false claim and warned the public against the dissemination.
“This is fake news. Stop sharing unverified news. Do not share when uncertain,” the NSC said. The false document claimed that 5 peninsular and 1 East Malaysian state will face MCO again.
It’s true that Malaysia probably wouldn’t survive a full on lockdown. Hopefully with proper planning and timeline, we’ll manage to get things under control again.