Did You Know Malaysians Can Actually Renew Their Passport Online? Here’s Howjessie tan
Time to renew one? Well, either your passport is:
- 6 months away from the expiry (and you wanna travel before then!)
Either scenario, you can now skip waking up at ungodly hours, skip the super horrendous queue, and forget waiting in the pejabat for up to 9 hours.
Yes, Malaysia has leaped far from the stone age culture of queuing thanks to technology.
What’s more you can get it within 24 hours too!
This is a legit tip to renew your passport with very little effort. Plus, for added convenience, you can choose which branch you would like to pick up your #baukedai passport from.
Renew it online in just 5 steps
1. Visit the e-Service website
You can search for it on Google or just click here. Make sure you read the instructions carefully.
Things to note:
- You must be 18 years old and above to renew your passport online
- If you are under 18, note that:
- You need your parent’s or legal guardian’s consent.
- A parent or legal guardian must escort you during collection at the Passport Recipient and Issuance Office. Passport will not be issued if a parent or legal guardian is not present.
- A payment needs to be made via credit card or debit card (FPX). The fees for a 5 year renewal are as follows:
- Average Applicant (13 – 59 years old): RM200
- Senior citizen (above 60 years old): RM100
2. Prepare 3 things
Now, don’t get too excited and click on the “agree” button right away. These three items must be collected first so that you won’t get stuck midway through the process.
- Digital passport picture of yourself
The picture must be in this format:
- White background with no shadows. Coloured backgrounds will not be accepted.
- Wear dark clothing and make sure your shoulders and chest are covered.
- If you wear a scarf/hijab, make sure it is dark in colour. Take the picture of your bare face and don’t cover your face with hijab.
- Uploaded photo must have been taken at a professional photo studio. The uploaded softcopy is required to be in the format provided by the photo studio. Polaroid pictures will not be accepted.
- The application and collection date will be delayed if you did not meet the specifications given.
You can obtain a digitised photo by scanning your picture into your computer or by asking for a softcopy from your professional photo shop.
- Your current passport.
- Credit Card. (To do online payment later)
3. Fill in the form
A. So after you clicked agree, you will be directed to this page:
You will be required to fill in the details. Make sure you are in the correct category.
You will get to choose where you would like to pick up your new passport.
B. On the next page, you will have to fill up more details and upload your digital passport picture.
Upload your digital passport picture.
And pay for it online.
4. Print the receipt
A. When everything is sorted, the website should provide you with an online confirmation sheet that you can download and print. You will then be provided with details and pick-up time will be scheduled for you.
You can print the receipt here.
The receipt should look like this.
B. But if something comes up and the receipt doesn’t appear, don’t worry. You can always check it again on the first page; labelled under “Pertanyaan Status Permohonan” or Application Status Inquiry.
5. Time to pick up your passport!
Once you’re done you’re able to pick it up within 24 hours.
- Apply before 3.00 p.m. (on a working day) = Collection on the same day.
- Apply after 3.00p.m. (on a working day) = Collection after 10.00 a.m. on the next working day
- You can also check the status of your application here.
(Talk about fast service am I right?)
Now remember, for smooth transaction:
- Make sure you collect the new passport in-person and bring along these three items:
- Identification Card (MyKad)
- Existing passport
- Payment receipt as issued by the system.
- No one can collect your new passport on your behalf.
- If you failed to collect on your own, the passport will not be issued.
- The existing passport must be good condition (not defaced or have water damaged).
- Make sure you wear the attire as guided above when you are going to the office as your picture will be taken again.
If you left the country illegally, you are not eligible to renew your passport through MyOnline Passport system.
When you get to the office, skip the queue, politely hand your confirmation sheet to the counter, have your picture taken again and get your new passport in just 30 minutes.
Remember that this method only applies to passport renewal. If you are creating a passport for the first time, getting to the Immigration Department office is a must. Now that you know, you can save your time for other errands. After all, Malaysia has the fastest passport making service amongst all!