5 Fun Facts About The Facebook Dating Feature That Malaysians Should Knowjessie tan
A few days ago, Facebook launched a new feature titled Facebook Dating in 19 countries, including Malaysia.
This is to allow users to silently express their affection to a crush without them knowing unless they reciprocate. Think of it as Tinder, but with the convenience of Facebook at your fingertips.
“Currently, there are more than 200 million people who have listed themselves as single in their relationship status on Facebook. Many of them already use Facebook to start meaningful relationships. We view this as an incredible opportunity to connect people should they choose to explore meaningful romantic relationships,” said Charmaine Hung, Technical Program Manager for Facebook Dating.
“According to a YouGov survey, nearly a third of Malaysians have used internet dating, with 54% of Malaysians know at least one couple who have met online. We are excited to offer them new ways of doing so via the platform,” she added.
Here are 5 key features about Facebook Dating:
- A separate profile on Facebook: Facebook Dating is a dedicated space within the Facebook app. Your dating activity will not be publicise on your Facebook or anyone else’s.
- Match with people based on things in common: You see suggested matches based on your preferences, interests, and things you do on Facebook, helping you connect with people you might have things in common with.
- You manage who can see your Dating profile: Inside Dating, only your suggested matches and those to whom you are suggested to can see your dating profile. Your current Facebook friends and anyone you blocked on Facebook will not be suggested to you unless you opt in to this feature.
- Choose to opt in to Events and Groups to see other “daters” (who have also opted in): You can choose to see other people who are using Facebook Dating that fit your preferences within Events and Groups. When you choose to see these people, you will also be visible to them.
- Enhanced privacy controls. Within the experience, you have the ability to include or hide friends of friends in your pool of suggested matches. You can also report or block someone if at any point you feel uncomfortable.
- How does it work: Be sure you have downloaded the most recent version of Facebook. Create a separate profile and you’ll notice other matches as well. Explore each other’s profiles to see if y’all have things in common.
- Secret Crush: You can also discover potential matches within your own Facebook communities: events, groups, friends of friends, and more.
“If you choose to use Secret Crush, you can select up to 9 of your Facebook friends who you want to express interest in. If your crush has opted into Facebook Dating, they will get a notification saying that someone has a crush on them. If your crush adds you to their Secret Crush list, it’s a match! If your crush isn’t on Dating, doesn’t create a Secret Crush list, or doesn’t put you on their list — don’t fret! If there isn’t a match, then no one will know that you’ve entered a friend’s name,” reads the press release.